Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Arugula Leek Pasta


If there is one day of the week, that I am most excited about to make a meal, it is Sunday. It's much less religiously motivated as this just sounded. What I mean is, it is the day we are usually unprepared for cooking. The shops are closed - yes, capitalism hasn't fully blossomed in Austria, much to K's dismay - and we have to make do with what's at home. Here I can shine. I love nothing more than randomly gathering all that's edible and figure out how to combine it into a fine meal. It also helps, that I am stickler for using left-overs. What can I say? I was raised by the (post)-war generation. My mother to the day cannot throw away bread and neither can I, despite not ever having experienced hunger or hardship myself. So, last Sunday was a prosperous day in our fridge. This is what I used:

  • 1 leek
  • some arugula
  • lemon (zest)
  • a dollop of mascarpone
  • cream
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • a sip of white wine
  • basil
  • roasted almonds
  • salt, pepper
  • Pasta of your choice. We had Cappellini

I sauteed the leek with the garlic and added a little white wine, which always seems appropriate to me. I added basil, lemon zest and the mascarpone, and at the very end the cream. I split the arugula and added some to the sauce and left some out to put on top unwilted. We crumbled some roasted almonds and put it on top of the pasta. The combination was delicious. Obviously you don't need all these ingredients. In fact, a plain old leek sauce is delicious as well. But the arugula added a wonderful bite and my favourite element was the lemon zest. The dish didn't necessarily need basil nor mascarpone. Try it! -n

0 comments: